Learn About Some of the Best Wine Tours in Sicily to Book, from Etna, Catania and Taormina
Welcome, Winetravelers, as we dive into some of Sicily’s most captivating wine regions leveraging local knowledge using some of our favorite privately guided wine tours of Sicily.
Here, we dive into the heart of Sicilian viticulture, sharing remarkable experiences from both our staff and avid readers who have embarked on unforgettable wine adventures across this enchanting island. These recommendations shine a spotlight on primarily on the mesmerizing regions of Mount Etna, Catania, and Taormina, unveiling the secrets of their luscious vineyards and the stories hidden within every glass.
So, pour yourself a taste of Sicily and join us as we embark on this flavorful journey, where the island’s rich history, breathtaking landscapes, and exceptional wines converge in perfect harmony.
Best Wine Tours in Sicily
In this particular guide, we’re only including Sicily wine tours that are privately guided. These can be short day trips or multi-day tours that allow you to get a real “taste” of Sicily. It all depends on your travel preferences, but many of our partner tour operators can be flexible with your itinerary. Whenever you book a tour through our site, you’ll be in constant communication from the time of booking to when you meet up in person in Italy. We encourage you to ask your tour operator and/or guide questions, and certainly don’t be afraid to ask if there’s any particular attraction or location you’d like to ensure makes it on your itinerary.
Full-Day Wine Tour in Western Sicily
Embark on a picturesque journey into the heart of western Sicily’s countryside, where the allure of vineyards and wineries awaits. Operated by EasyTrapani, this customizable wine tour offers both half-day and full-day options, tailored to your interests and schedule. Delight your senses as you sample the region’s finest wines, including the iconic Marsala and the vibrant Grillo, all while basking in the idyllic surroundings.
With the added convenience of hotel pick-up, immerse yourself in this authentic Sicilian experience, featuring:
- A wine tour in the stunning Sicilian countryside with a flexible itinerary
- Personalized tour options to match your interests and timetable
- An opportunity to taste exquisite wines straight from the source
- Hotel pick-up and round-trip private transfer included
- Prices starting at just $388.67, with our Lowest Price Guarantee
Sicily Wine Tour with a Food & Wine Journalist
Does it get much more authentic? Navigate some of Sicily’s best vineyards and places to eat with a local sommelier and journalist to writes about the subjects.
This delightful food and wine tour starts in Sicily’s Syracuse, the beating heart of the island’s gastronomic scene. Operated by Smile and Food, this intimate experience is led by a food critic, writer, and sommelier who will expertly guide you through the city’s flavorful wonders.
Stroll through the bustling Ortigia market and uncover the rich tapestry of traditional Sicilian specialties. Continue your journey to the old town’s esteemed gourmet food and wine shops, where you’ll savor samples of exquisite cheeses, cold cuts, and Sicily’s renowned preserves.
With prices starting at just $99, embark on this epicurean adventure, featuring:
- An expert-led tour, curated by a food critic, writer, and sommelier
- A visit to the lively Ortigia market to explore authentic Sicilian delicacies
- An exploration of the finest food and wine shops in Syracuse, complete with tastings
- A small-group experience, ensuring a leisurely pace and personalized attention
8 Day Sicily Food & Wine Tour of Sicily (Max 8 Guests)
Indulge in a sumptuous 7-night 8-day culinary odyssey through Sicily, meticulously crafted by Sicily Activities. This all-inclusive, full-package experience sells out quickly, so be sure to book early and secure your place on this gastronomic adventure.
Immerse yourself in Sicily’s finest fare at farmhouses, wineries, trattorias, tavernas, bottegas, markets, bakeries, and street stalls, all while leaving the itinerary planning to your expert foodie guide. Enjoy three nights of B&B in Taormina, two in Syracuse, and two in Palermo, with visits to iconic locales such as Etna, Ortigia, and Noto.
Traveling in a small, intimate group of no more than eight, this enchanting journey includes:
- A 7-night exploration of Sicily’s rich culinary culture through food and wine
- Accommodations in superior 3-star or classic 4-star hotels in Taormina, Syracuse, and Palermo
- Delectable meals, featuring six lunches, one dinner, and eight culinary experiences
- Personal insights from your foodie guide in a cozy, small-group setting
Wine Tours near Mount Etna
Private Tour of Mount Etna with Etna DOC Wine Tasting
Embark on a truly unforgettable journey to the awe-inspiring Mount Etna with Sicily with Love. This immersive experience promises memories to last a lifetime, as you explore the rich history of Etna’s volcanic past and the renowned Etna DOC wine production.
Delve into the fascinating legacy of Etna’s most famous eruption in 1669, visiting the remnants of monuments buried beneath the lava flow. Conclude your adventure with a visit to a winery, where you’ll indulge in a tasting of exquisite Etna wines. This extraordinary experience also includes hiking opportunities and the chance to inquire about visiting the captivating lava tubes.
- A once-in-a-lifetime exploration of Mount Etna’s history and Etna DOC wines
- Visits to the sites and monuments affected by the iconic 1669 eruption
- A winery tour, complete with a tasting of exceptional Etna wines
- Hiking excursions and the opportunity to discover the mesmerizing lava tubes
Etna Countryside Food and Wine Lovers Tour
Discover the allure of Sicilian viticulture with this captivating wine tour, expertly crafted by Sicily Activities. With prices starting at just $165, embark on a flavorful journey that will leave you with unforgettable memories and an enriched appreciation for the island’s exquisite wines.
Delight in the rich tapestry of vineyards and wineries that adorn the picturesque landscape, as you immerse yourself in the enchanting world of Sicilian wines. With Sicily Activities as your guide, you’ll uncover the unique terroir, history, and flavors that make each wine a true testament to the island’s diverse offerings.
Join us for this unforgettable wine tour, featuring:
- An expertly curated exploration of Sicilian vineyards and wineries
- A journey into the heart of the island’s viticulture, guided by Sicily Activities
- The opportunity to savor the exceptional wines born from the region’s distinct terroir
- An enriching experience, with prices starting at just $165
Fun Facts About Mount Etna
- Towering at approximately 3,329 meters (10,922 feet), Mount Etna is the highest active volcano in Europe. Its height varies due to frequent eruptions, which reshape its summit.
- In 2013, Mount Etna was recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its exceptional geological features, rich biodiversity, and cultural significance, highlighting its importance in the fields of volcanology and geophysics.
- In Greek mythology, Mount Etna is believed to be the workshop of the god of fire and metalworking, Hephaestus. It is also said to be the location where the giant Typhon was trapped beneath by Zeus, causing the volcanic eruptions.
- The fertile volcanic soil and unique microclimate of Mount Etna contribute to the distinct character of Etna DOC wines. The vineyards on its slopes produce exceptional reds and whites, such as Nerello Mascalese, Nerello Cappuccio, and Carricante, which are renowned for their elegance and minerality.
- Mount Etna has been active for around 500,000 years and continues to erupt regularly. With its first recorded eruption dating back to 1500 BCE, it is one of the most well-documented and studied volcanoes in the world, providing invaluable insights into volcanic processes.
Wine Tours near Catania
Many Catania wine tours are actually wine tours that leave from Catania but tend to feature the Etna wine region. Below, you can book some of our favorite Sicily wine tours that leave from Catania.
From Catania to Etna at Sunset Half-Day Tour
Embark on a thrilling adventure with EtnaTribe, as you explore the awe-inspiring beauty of Mount Etna, Europe’s tallest active volcano. With tours starting at just $60, this unforgettable experience offers a unique perspective of Sicily’s captivating landscape.
Embrace the exhilaration of trekking along the mountain’s slopes, marveling at an ancient crater, and venturing into enchanting lava flow caves. As the sun sets, witness breathtaking views of the surrounding scenery, painting the sky with vibrant hues.
Enrich your journey by visiting a local farm, where you’ll indulge in the flavors of Sicily through tastings of honey, wine, and other regional delights. To ensure a seamless experience, hotel pickup in Catania is included, and caving equipment is provided.
Join EtnaTribe for this captivating Mount Etna tour, featuring:
- An exhilarating exploration of Europe’s tallest active volcano
- Trekking, crater visits, and lava flow cave discoveries
- A local farm visit for tastings of honey, wine, and other Sicilian specialties
- Caving equipment and hotel pickup in Catania included, with prices starting at $60
Catania Street Food Walking Tour
If you’re burnt out on countryside wine tastings (trust us it’s possible) and would prefer to spend some time exploring lovely Catania proper, then this tour is for you.
Unveil the culinary secrets of Catania on a delightful daytime walking tour that takes you through the city’s bustling streets and charming neighborhoods. Led by a knowledgeable local guide, you’ll gain insight into the role of Catania’s food in Sicilian culture as you explore the vibrant main piazza and the elegant Via dei Crociferi or the historic Benedettini enclave.
Immerse yourself in the flavors of Catania as you sample delectable treats at market stalls and bakeries, savoring the city’s renowned street food and snacks. Conclude your gastronomic adventure with a seasonal dessert, and depart armed with insider tips on the best dining spots in town.
Embark on this half-day Catania street food journey, featuring:
- A guided exploration of Catania’s culinary landscape with a local expert
- Visits to the historic fish market and insights into Sicilian seafood
- A leisurely stroll along Via dei Crociferi or through the Benedettini neighborhood
- A delightful sampling of seasonal desserts to cap off your food walking tour
Fun Facts About Catania Wines
- Founded in the 8th century BCE by Greek colonizers, Catania has a rich history that spans millennia. Its storied past includes periods under Roman, Byzantine, Arab, and Norman rule, all of which have left their marks on the city’s diverse architectural and cultural heritage.
- Catania’s historic city center boasts stunning Baroque architecture, which has earned it the designation of a UNESCO World Heritage Site, along with other late-Baroque towns in the Val di Noto. Notable landmarks include the Cathedral of Sant’Agata, Ursino Castle, and the Roman Amphitheater.
- Despite being destroyed multiple times by both earthquakes and volcanic eruptions from Mount Etna, Catania has continually been rebuilt, showcasing the resilience of its inhabitants. The city’s emblem, the mythical elephant known as “Liotru” or “u Liotru,” symbolizes strength and wisdom and is believed to protect the city from natural disasters.
- Catania is well-regarded for its vibrant food and wine scene, which includes traditional Sicilian dishes and wines from the nearby vineyards of Mount Etna. Visitors can indulge in the unique flavors of local dishes like pasta alla Norma, arancini, and cannoli, as well as savor the elegant and mineral-rich wines produced in the region.
- Catania is home to one of Sicily’s most famous and bustling street markets, La Pescheria. Located in the heart of the city, this lively market offers a wide array of fresh produce, seafood, meats, and local specialties, making it a must-visit destination for food lovers and a perfect opportunity to immerse oneself in the city’s rich gastronomic culture.
Wine Tours near Taormina
Private Tour of Etna and Winery Visit with Food and Wine Tasting from Taormina
Operated by Prestelli Sicily Tours, relax and take in the picturesque scenery as your private guide navigates through charming mountain villages, ensuring a stress-free journey from Taormina.
Enrich your adventure with a visit to a local honey farm, where you’ll discover the sweet side of Sicily. Then, explore the renowned Silvestri Craters before heading to an Etna winery for a delightful lunch and a tasting of both red and white Sicilian wines.
Customize your tour to include an exhilarating cable car ascent to 3000 meters up the volcano, offering an even more unforgettable experience. Immerse yourself in the captivating beauty and tastes of Sicily with this tailor-made Mount Etna tour.
Highlights of this private Mount Etna tour with Prestelli Sicily Tours include:
- Exploring Mount Etna with an experienced private guide
- Hassle-free navigation through mountain villages, letting your guide take the wheel
- Visiting a local honey farm and an Etna winery for lunch and wine tastings
- Customizable tour options, such as a thrilling cable car ascent up the volcano
Aeolian Islands Day Trip from Taormina: Stromboli and Panarea
Embark on an unforgettable journey to the enchanting Aeolian Archipelago with SAT Tour Group, as you explore the captivating islands of Stromboli and Panarea on this day trip from Taormina. Traverse the crystal-clear waters by motorboat, taking the opportunity to stroll through local shops, unwind by the sea, or indulge in a refreshing swim.
As you cruise around Stromboli, marvel at the island’s awe-inspiring volcano and keep your eyes peeled for the mesmerizing crater of Sciara del Fuoco, famous for its jet-like eruptions that illuminate the night sky. After a full day of uncovering the wonders of these UNESCO-listed islands, return to Taormina with memories to cherish.
This alluring day trip to the Aeolian Archipelago features:
- A guided journey from Taormina to Panarea and Stromboli with SAT Tour Group
- A scenic motorboat tour around the UNESCO-listed islands
- Leisure time to explore the charming island of Panarea
- Relaxing on Stromboli island, discovering its striking black lava-sand beaches
- Witnessing Stromboli’s volcanic activity at Sciara del Fuoco from a unique viewpoint on the water
Cooking Class with Seaview & Taormina’s Market with Chef Mimmo
Go on a delightful culinary adventure with Cooking Class di Ahoy Brasserie Pizzeria, where you’ll master the art of creating delectable Sicilian specialties in a warm, family atmosphere. Starting at just $100, this hands-on experience takes place a stone’s throw away from the beach and the sparkling sea, under the guidance of a professional chef.
Immerse yourself in the rich flavors and aromas of Sicily as you skillfully combine a myriad of ingredients that never fail to tantalize the taste buds. Discover new tastes through sumptuous dishes that evoke the essence of sea, mountain, almond, ricotta, and more – each exuding the essence of life, goodness, and the splendid land of Sicily itself.
Transform your Sicilian holiday into a memorable culinary journey with Cooking Class di Ahoy Brasserie Pizzeria, featuring:
- A hands-on cooking class in a welcoming family atmosphere
- A professional chef guiding you through the art of Sicilian cuisine
- The opportunity to explore a diverse array of flavors and ingredients
- A unique, unforgettable experience, starting at only $100
Fun Facts about Taormina
- Founded by Greek colonizers in the 4th century BCE, Taormina boasts a rich history that reflects its diverse cultural influences. Over the centuries, the town has been under Roman, Byzantine, Arab, and Norman rule, each leaving a distinct mark on its architectural and cultural heritage.
- Taormina’s ancient Greek Theatre, known as the Teatro Greco, is one of the town’s most famous landmarks. Built in the 3rd century BCE, it is the second-largest theatre of its kind in Sicily. Today, it serves as a venue for various events, such as film festivals, concerts, and theatrical performances, while offering stunning views of the Ionian Sea and Mount Etna.
- Nestled on a hillside overlooking the Ionian Sea, Taormina’s breathtaking location offers visitors spectacular views of the coastline and the imposing Mount Etna. The town’s picturesque beauty has made it a favorite destination for tourists and artists alike, who are drawn to its enchanting landscape and vibrant atmosphere.
- The fertile volcanic soils and unique microclimate surrounding Taormina contribute to the production of high-quality wines, which showcase the region’s distinct terroir. Visitors can indulge in the elegant and mineral-rich Etna DOC wines, including reds made from Nerello Mascalese and Nerello Cappuccio grapes, as well as whites produced from the Carricante grape variety.
- As the main thoroughfare of Taormina, Corso Umberto is a lively and charming pedestrian street that offers an array of boutiques, cafes, and restaurants, where visitors can enjoy traditional Sicilian cuisine, local wines, and delightful gelato. Strolling along this historic street is a quintessential Taormina experience, allowing visitors to soak in the town’s vibrant atmosphere and stunning architecture.
How to Get to and Around Sicily
Getting to and around the enchanting island of Sicily is a breeze, thanks to its well-connected transportation options and traveler-friendly infrastructure. Begin your journey by flying into one of the major airports, such as Palermo’s Falcone-Borsellino Airport, Catania-Fontanarossa Airport, or Trapani-Birgi Airport, all of which offer regular flights to and from various European cities. Upon arrival, you can choose from a range of transfer options like taxis, buses, or even private car services to reach your destination. You can also fly into Rome and take short haul flights into any of the above mentioned airports. Check and compare current flight prices right here.
Once on the island, you can easily explore Sicily’s captivating landscape by utilizing its extensive public transportation system, which includes buses and trains operated by the regional provider, Trenitalia. Alternatively, consider renting a car for a more flexible and personalized experience, allowing you to discover hidden gems and scenic routes at your own pace.