Thinking About Visiting Tuscany in 2024? Book Some of the Best Tuscany Wine Tours to Experience the Region Like a Local
Italy has been a popular destination for #Winetravelers this year. We’re frequently asked how to best navigate popular regions such as Tuscany, and there really is no better way to fully immerse yourself in the region than by using a guided wine tour or tasting experience that’s operated by a local. With insider knowledge, not worrying about planning, logistics or driving, you can have a much more fulfilling time exploring the region, and usually save yourself a lot of stress and time.
All of that being said, we’ve compiled a list of the top wine tours in Tuscany based on reader feedback and ratings. These tours include both group experiences, as well as options for private wine tastings and excursions throughout Tuscany. Whether you’re staying within the Tuscan countryside or you’re looking for a day trip from Florence, Rome or Siena, we have you covered below.
Note that for a limited time, we’ve partnered with Viator to provide our readers with secure advanced booking, free cancellation as well as an exclusive 15% discount on any wine tours that are booked via Winetraveler.com. Simply use code WINETRAVELER15 at check out.
- Thinking About Visiting Tuscany in 2024? Book Some of the Best Tuscany Wine Tours to Experience the Region Like a Local
- Best Wine Tours & Wine Tasting Experiences in Tuscany
- Tuscany Wine Tours from Florence
- Tuscan Safari: Tuscan Villas with Vineyards, Cheese, Wine & Lunch from Florence
- Florence Vespa Tour: Tuscan Hills and Italian Cuisine
- Tuscany Bike Tours: One Day Bike Tour through the Hills of Tuscany
- Pizza and Gelato Cooking Class at a Tuscan Farmhouse from Florence (with wine, of course)
- Tuscan Wine Tour with Lunch, Visit to San Gimignano & Organic Wineries
- Self-Drive Vintage Fiat 500 Tour from Florence: Tuscan Wine Experience
- Private Tuscany Wine Tour Experience from Florence
- Horseback Ride and Poolside Day Chillout with Tuscan Lunch
- Tuscany Wine Tours from Rome
- Tuscany Wine Tours from Siena
- San Miniato Truffle Hunting Experience with Lunch
- Tuscany Wine Tours from Florence
- Tuscany Travel Logistics
- Cities, Towns and Villages within Tuscany
- Frequently Asked Questions about Wine Tours in Tuscany
Best Wine Tours & Wine Tasting Experiences in Tuscany
Tuscany Wine Tours from Florence
Florence serves as an ideal base for Tuscany wine tours due to its central location within the region, providing easy access to renowned wine areas such as Chianti, Montepulciano, and Montalcino. Its well-connected transportation system, including train routes and bus lines, ensures hassle-free travel to various vineyards and wineries.
Additionally, numerous tour operators within Florence offer curated wine experiences that cater to a range of preferences, from small boutique wineries to larger renowned estates. This, combined with the city’s own rich cultural and culinary scenes, makes Florence the perfect starting point for exploring Tuscany’s wine country.
Italy’s iconic Tuscany region is more than just a destination – it’s a feast for all your senses. This full-day Tuscany wine and food tour, departing from Florence, offers you the chance to taste the region’s finest offerings, guided by experts with in-depth local knowledge.
Navigate the enchanting Tuscan countryside in a comfortable 4×4 minibus, stopping to explore a historic wine estate and villa, and a cellar filled with delectable Chianti Classico. Each stop on your journey is an opportunity to learn more about wine and olive oil production, and to indulge in locally-sourced cheese and other Tuscan delicacies.
This unique journey culminates in a traditional 3-course Tuscan lunch at a winery restaurant with breathtaking views. Experience the magic of the Chianti region as you dine amidst vineyards under the Tuscan sun.
This particular tour, operated by Walkabout Tours, has been designed to ensure a seamless and enriching experience for our #Winetravelers.
- Full-day wine and food tour from Florence, with 4×4 off-road minibus transportation.
- Traverse the scenic Tuscan countryside on an off-road adventure.
- Delight in a traditional Tuscan lunch at a picturesque winery restaurant.
- Explore a historic wine estate, with a guided tour of wine, extra-virgin olive oil, and cheese tastings.
- Visit a second winery for a deeper dive into the renowned Chianti Classico wine.
Venture off the beaten path and explore the heart of Tuscany on a classic Vespa scooter. This unique tour, offered by Walkabout Tours, takes you on a scenic ride through the Tuscan hills, starting from the Renaissance city of Florence. With a knowledgeable local guide leading the way, you’ll discover hidden gems such as the Piazzale Michelangelo and the Church of San Miniato al Monte.
The adventure doesn’t end there. After exploring the picturesque countryside, head back to a welcoming country estate to indulge in a delicious traditional Italian meal. Feast on a menu of mouth-watering bruschetta, perfectly cooked pasta, and a flavorful cheese and salami board. Experience the authenticity of Tuscany as you dine surrounded by its natural beauty.
To ensure a truly personalized and intimate experience, this tour is limited to 15 travelers.
- Explore the Tuscan hills on your own Vespa scooter, led by a local guide.
- Discover lesser-known sights such as the Piazzale Michelangelo and the Church of San Miniato al Monte.
- Delight in a traditional Tuscan meal at our country estate, featuring local favorites like bruschetta, pasta, and a cheese and salami board.
- Enjoy the personalized attention offered by small-group tours with a maximum of 15 participants.
This Vespa tour in Tuscany, presented by Walkabout Tours, gives you a unique opportunity to experience Tuscany’s charming countryside in an authentic and memorable way. Don’t just visit Tuscany, live it like a local!
Grab this opportunity to explore Tuscany in the most Italian way possible. Reserve your spot now as this is one of the best selling Tuscany wine tours currently.
Escape the bustling city of Florence and immerse yourself in the natural splendor of the renowned Tuscan countryside. Offered by Tuscany Bike Tours, this top-rated bike tour combines the awe-inspiring scenery of Tuscany, a rich history that spans centuries, and an authentic taste of the region’s flavors in an exciting and active way.
Pedal across fertile valleys and hilly landscapes adorned with olive trees and vineyards, stopping to explore a 12th-century villa and indulge in a traditional Italian restaurant for a mid-day meal. Recharge and enhance your journey with tastings of Chianti wine and local olive oil – the signature flavors of Tuscany.
- Cycle through the beautiful Tuscan countryside, leaving the city behind.
- Enjoy a wine tasting at a medieval castle and savor a delectable lunch at a local restaurant.
- Engage in an active and refreshing journey, a welcome alternative to being confined on a bus.
- Join the ranks of satisfied travelers who’ve showered this bike tour with hundreds of 5-star reviews.
Experience the Tuscan region in a refreshing and dynamic way. The inviting landscape, the ancient history, the flavors of the region – all come together on this journey to provide an unforgettable Tuscan experience.
Ready for the ride of a lifetime? Secure your spot on this Tuscany Bike Tour today.
Embark on a delightful culinary adventure near Florence, nestled within a picturesque Tuscan estate. Ideal for culinary enthusiasts and culture lovers, this unique experience allows you to learn the art of crafting two of Italy’s culinary treasures – pizza and gelato, guided by a professional Italian chef.
This interactive, hands-on cooking lesson culminates in a delicious 3-course feast of appetizers, freshly made pizza, and delectable gelato, all paired with a selection of fine wine and beer. To keep the magic of this culinary adventure alive, you’ll also receive a recipe booklet to take home and hone your new skills.
- Participate in a pizza and gelato cooking lesson, right in the heart of Tuscany.
- Learn the art of crafting two iconic Italian delights under the guidance of a professional chef.
- Relish a 3-course meal accompanied by wine or beer, all set within a charming Tuscan estate.
- Enjoy round-trip transportation from central Florence for a hassle-free experience.
Why Choose this Tour? This gourmet cooking class pairs two beloved Italian classics with the unbeatable scenery of Tuscany, creating an immersive experience that surpasses any restaurant setting.
Ready to create some delicious memories? Book this culinary adventure now and add a slice of Tuscan flavor to your journey. Unleash your inner chef and bring a piece of Italy back home with you.
Take a break from the energetic pace of Florence and set off on a journey into the heart of the Tuscany wine region. This day trip includes round-trip transport from a central Florence location, making your adventure as comfortable as possible.
In the company of your knowledgeable guide, you’ll gain valuable insights into the intricate winemaking process at local vineyards, typically overlooked by many visitors to Tuscany. The day’s schedule is thoughtfully designed to include wine tastings, an authentic Tuscan lunch, and ample opportunities for capturing beautiful photographs against the backdrop of Tuscany’s scenic landscapes.
- Savor tastings of Chianti wines and relish a traditional Tuscan lunch.
- Benefit from the expertise of a guide, ensuring a stress-free exploration without the need for navigation.
- Gain insights into the winemaking process unique to the Chianti region.
- Enjoy hassle-free, round-trip transportation from a central Florence location.
Discover the serenity and charm of Tuscany’s renowned wine region with this insightful Chianti day trip. Immerse yourself in the winemaking heritage, savor authentic Tuscan cuisine, and capture memories set against Tuscany’s breathtaking vistas.
Ready to uncork the magic of Tuscany & Chianti? Book this day trip now and delve into a world where the essence of Tuscany comes alive in every vineyard, every glass of wine, and every plate of food.
Embark on an Italian adventure like no other as you couple a wine tasting experience with a classic Fiat 500 tour. Departing from Florence, step into the driver’s seat of a beautiful 1960s Fiat 500 model, and journey through the Tuscan hills as part of a scenic convoy. The tour reaches its crescendo as you park your vintage ride at a stunning 15th-century wine estate and villa.
- Enjoy a self-driven Fiat 500 tour from Florence, highlighting the esteemed wines of Tuscany.
- Visit a captivating 15th-century Renaissance villa and wine estate nestled in the Tuscan countryside.
- Immerse yourself in the estate’s vineyards and cellars, indulging in tastings of several locally produced wines.
- Travel through the scenic Tuscan hills with confidence, guided every step of the way.
Explore the splendors of Tuscany in an unforgettable way. From the thrill of driving a classic Fiat 500 through the picturesque hills, to the rich taste of Tuscan wines in a historic setting – this tour promises a feast for the senses.
Ready to drive into a day of Tuscan delights? Reserve your spot now and create memories that will last a lifetime.
Delve into the heart of Tuscany’s world-renowned flavors and stunning landscapes on a private wine tour from Florence. Journey through the picturesque hills and vineyards in the company of a knowledgeable sommelier guide, visiting three distinctive estates to sample top-notch regional wines and olive oil.
The journey includes a visit to a family-owned winery, where a traditional Tuscan lunch, paired with an array of fresh local products and wine, awaits you. Gain insights into traditional winemaking processes through a cellar tour and engaging conversations with winemakers.
- Full-day private wine tour from Florence, removing any uncertainty about selecting wineries, thanks to your expert sommelier guide.
- Explore three diverse wineries, including quaint family-run and organic estates.
- Discover the winemaking process through an immersive cellar tour.
- Savor a range of the region’s best varietals.
- Enjoy an authentic Tuscan lunch crafted from locally produced ingredients.
- Benefit from the flexibility to tailor your itinerary to your preferences.
Embark on a journey of flavor and beauty in the Tuscan region. From the quaint charm of family-run vineyards to the vibrant taste of Tuscan wines and the warm hospitality of the locals, this tour promises a truly enriching experience.
Trade the bustling streets of Florence for a day of tranquility immersed in nature. Experience a horseback riding adventure through the picturesque Tuscan countryside, capped off with downtime at an elegant country resort nestled within the verdant Florentine hills. Indulge in a delightful Tuscan lunch served poolside and complemented by local Chianti wine.
- Escape the crowds of Florence and embrace the tranquility of the Tuscan countryside.
- Absorb the lush landscapes from the unique perspective of horseback riding, suitable for all levels.
- Enjoy a private experience tailored exclusively for your party.
- Benefit from round-trip transfers from Florence for a hassle-free day.
Immerse yourself in the calming serenity of Tuscany’s nature. From the thrill of horseback riding through picturesque landscapes to relaxing at an elegant resort with a refreshing poolside lunch, this day promises a rejuvenating escape from the hustle and bustle.
Tuscany Wine Tours from Rome
While Rome is not located in Tuscany, its position and connectivity make it a viable alternative base for Tuscany wine tours. Rome’s strategic location allows for comfortable day trips to southern Tuscan areas like Montepulciano and Montalcino, both renowned for their exceptional wines. The Italian capital boasts excellent high-speed rail links and highway networks that can transport you to the heart of Tuscany in just a couple of hours. This flexibility allows you to explore Tuscany’s world-class vineyards and return to Rome’s vibrant nightlife and historical attractions all in one day, offering a rich, balanced travel experience.
Make the most of your time with this private tour that covers three enchanting hill towns in Tuscany and Umbria in just one day. With the convenience of hotel pickup in Rome and a full day’s transport, you can indulge in wine tasting in Montepulciano, savor the renowned pecorino cheese in Pienza, and admire the breathtaking views from the cliffside town of Orvieto.
- Benefit from round-trip private transportation from your hotel or chosen location in Rome.
- Enjoy ample free time to explore and shop in the beautiful towns of Montepulciano, Pienza, and Orvieto.
- Experience the unique flavors of Tuscan wines, cheeses, and other gourmet delights.
- Take advantage of a private day trip for greater flexibility and personalized attention.
Embark on a journey through the scenic landscapes of Tuscany and Umbria. Savor the exquisite flavors of the region, marvel at the panoramic views, and soak up the unique charm of these picturesque hill towns.
Trace the footsteps of the Etruscans as you visit the picturesque medieval settlements of Montepulciano and UNESCO–listed Pienza, two of Tuscany’s most charming hilltop towns. Starting from Rome, this tour offers a comfortable journey in an air-conditioned minivan, giving you ample time to explore the historical streets at your own pace. Revel in the magnificent panoramas over the Val d’Orcia, with round-trip transport from your Rome hotel included.
- Explore the enchanting towns of Montepulciano and UNESCO–listed Pienza in a single day.
- Enjoy ample free time to discover the rich history and culture of these sites at your own pace.
- Be captivated by the panoramic views of the Val d’Orcia from the vantage point of Pienza.
- Benefit from round-trip transportation in an air-conditioned minivan from your Rome hotel.
Step back in time and explore the medieval charm of Tuscany. From the Etruscan roots of Montepulciano to the UNESCO-listed beauty of Pienza, this tour offers a captivating look into Tuscany’s past.
Tuscany Wine Tours from Siena
Join us as we step back in time, tracing the footsteps of ancient pilgrims along the Via Francigena, a historic route that connected Canterbury, England, to Rome. This rural path winds through charming villages, vineyards, and some of Tuscany’s most picturesque landscapes. The journey concludes in the enchanting medieval village of Monteriggioni, where you’ll be rewarded with a curated wine tasting. To wrap up your adventure, we’ll provide a train ticket for a comfortable return to Siena.
- Enjoy a half-day hiking tour from Siena coupled with a delightful wine tasting.
- Follow sections of the historic Via Francigena, a key pilgrimage route leading to Rome.
- Absorb the history of the route from our expert guide.
- Traverse between Siena and the medieval walled village of Monteriggioni.
- Bask in the captivating Tuscan vistas of rolling hills blanketed in vineyards and olive groves.
- Immerse yourself in local flavors during an educational wine tasting session in Monteriggioni.
- Take advantage of the included train ticket for a convenient return to Siena.
This is more than just a hike; it’s an invigorating journey through history and a celebration of Tuscany’s beautiful landscapes and rich flavors. Ready to walk the ancient paths and savor the local wines? Book your spot today!
Tuscany is famed worldwide for its exceptional wines. Get an insider’s view into this illustrious industry with a tasting tour in the vineyards close to Siena. This intimate tour, limited to just 12 participants, takes you to a historic cellar where you’ll refine your palate and learn to distinguish delicate flavors under the guidance of a sommelier. With a choice of morning or afternoon departure, you can conveniently fit this experience into even the most packed sightseeing agenda.
- Break away from the city and effortlessly explore the vineyards surrounding Siena.
- Sharpen your palate to discern subtle flavors under the guidance of a trained sommelier.
- Choose from two departure times throughout the day for your convenience.
- Benefit from personalized attention in a small group limited to 12 participants.
Unleash your inner wine connoisseur on this exclusive tasting tour. From exploring historic cellars to learning from a knowledgeable sommelier, this experience brings you closer to Tuscany’s rich wine culture.
Experience the unique thrill of hunting for Italy’s coveted tubers in the Tuscany countryside during an authentic truffle hunt near San Miniato. Join Francesca, a seasoned forager, and her truffle-hunting dog for a leisurely stroll through the woods in search of fresh truffles. After the hunt, unwind at her family farmhouse, where a mouth-watering lunch featuring the day’s truffle harvest awaits.
- Engage in the age-old tradition of truffle hunting with an experienced local “tartufaio” in Tuscany.
- Enjoy a walk through the woodlands near San Miniato with a specially trained truffle dog.
- Relish a satisfying lunch featuring bruschetta and pasta adorned with freshly found truffles, followed by dessert.
- Enjoy the warmth of local hospitality during this immersive experience at a family-run farm.
Embark on a truly unique Tuscan journey. From the exciting pursuit of truffles to the exquisite flavors of a truffle-infused lunch, this experience offers a deep dive into the tradition and culinary richness of Tuscany.
Tuscany Travel Logistics
Getting to Tuscany
Major Airports in Tuscany
Florence Airport, Peretola (FLR): Known as Amerigo Vespucci Airport, it’s the closest airport to the heart of Florence and Tuscany. It’s relatively small and offers fewer international connections, but it’s a popular choice due to its proximity to Tuscany’s major cities. Browse current flight deals and book as the best rates arise using Kayak.
Pisa International Airport (PSA): Also known as Galileo Galilei Airport, this is the largest airport in Tuscany with more international flight connections. Pisa airport is well-connected to Florence and other Tuscan cities by both train and bus services.
Bologna Guglielmo Marconi Airport (BLQ): Although not located within Tuscany, it’s another good option to consider as it has strong flight connections, both domestic and international. It’s roughly an hour and a half’s train ride to Florence.
Arriving from Other Parts of Italy
Tuscany is well-served by Italy’s extensive train network. The high-speed trains from cities like Rome, Milan, and Venice make getting to Tuscany both quick and convenient. Florence’s main station, Firenze Santa Maria Novella, is a major hub connecting Tuscany to the rest of Italy.
Getting Around Tuscany
Trains: The train network in Tuscany is quite extensive, connecting not only the major cities but also smaller towns. They are generally punctual, affordable, and efficient.
Buses: For some of the smaller towns and villages, bus is the only public transport available. Although they can be less predictable than trains, buses can get you to places trains can’t reach.
Renting a car can be an excellent option if you wish to explore the countryside or visit vineyards at your own pace. Do remember that driving in Italy requires an International Driving Permit along with your regular driver’s license for non-EU citizens. Also, many city centers in Tuscany are limited traffic zones (ZTLs) and are camera-controlled. Driving into these zones without a permit will result in a fine.
Taxis and Rideshares
Taxis are readily available in cities and larger towns. Uber operates in Florence and is another convenient option for getting around.
Other Things to Know
Best Time to Visit: Tuscany is a year-round destination, but the ideal times to visit are between April and June, and September and October when the weather is comfortable and the countryside is at its most vibrant.
Language: Italian is the official language. However, English is widely spoken in tourist areas, hotels, and restaurants.
Currency: Euro (€) is the official currency of Italy.
Safety: Tuscany is generally safe for tourists, but like any other tourist destination, be aware of your surroundings, particularly in crowded places.
Electricity: Italy operates on a 220V supply voltage and 50Hz. The power plugs and sockets are of type F and L.
Cities, Towns and Villages within Tuscany
As the capital of Tuscany, Florence is an incredible mix of art, history, and culture. It’s the birthplace of the Renaissance, and home to world-class museums such as the Uffizi Gallery and the Accademia Gallery, where you can admire Michelangelo’s David. The city also has a rich culinary scene, with countless trattorias serving classic Tuscan cuisine. Florence is an ideal base for day trips throughout the region, thanks to its central location and excellent transportation links.
Famous for its medieval cityscape and the historic Palio horse race, Siena is a must-visit. The city’s heart is the Piazza del Campo, a shell-shaped square that hosts the Palio twice every summer. The Siena Cathedral (Duomo di Siena) is another highlight, featuring intricate Gothic architecture. Siena’s historical center has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its preserved medieval city planning and architectural splendor.
Known worldwide for its leaning tower, Pisa has much more to offer. The city hosts a wealth of historic sites, including the Piazza dei Miracoli, where you’ll find the Leaning Tower, the Pisa Cathedral, and the Baptistery. For an authentic Tuscan experience, visit during June when the city celebrates the Luminara di San Ranieri festival with thousands of candles lighting up the riverside.
Enclosed by well-preserved Renaissance walls, Lucca is a charming town ideal for leisurely exploration. Its cobblestone streets, beautiful piazzas, and numerous churches, including the Lucca Cathedral, offer a snapshot of its rich history. One fun fact is that the town’s intact city walls have been transformed into a pedestrian promenade, perfect for biking or a leisurely walk.
Known as the “Town of Fine Towers”, San Gimignano is famed for its 14 medieval towers that dominate the skyline. This UNESCO World Heritage Site offers fantastic art, great dining, and world-class gelato at the Gelateria Dondoli, a two-time champion of the Gelato World Cup. Its proximity to Chianti makes it an excellent stop on a Tuscan wine tour.
This medieval and Renaissance hill town is known for its Vino Nobile wines. Stroll along the Corso, a grand avenue packed with Renaissance palazzi and churches, or visit the impressive Tempio di San Biagio. The town also offers panoramic views over the surrounding vineyards and Val d’Orcia.
Best known for its Brunello di Montalcino wines, this hilltop town is a favorite among wine lovers. Besides its wine, the town boasts a stunning fortress offering panoramic views, a charming historical center, and the beautiful Romanesque Abbey of Sant’Antimo.
A true hidden gem, Volterra offers Etruscan, Roman, and medieval sites, including the Roman Theatre and the Etruscan Acropolis. Volterra is also renowned for its alabaster craftsmanship, a tradition that dates back to the Etruscan period.
Set on a hill overlooking Lake Trasimeno, Cortona is one of Tuscany’s oldest towns with a history dating back to the Etruscans. Visit the Museo dell’Accademia Etrusca, or explore the town’s charming narrow streets and squares. The town is also known from the book and movie “Under the Tuscan Sun.”
Pin This Article to Pinterest for Later
Frequently Asked Questions about Wine Tours in Tuscany
You are reading “The Best Wine Tours in Tuscany & Wine Tasting Experiences to Book This Year”: Back To Top
wine tours from Florence, Tuscany wine tours, Tuscany wine tours from Rome, wine tasting near Florence, wine tasting near me, wine tasting near Siena: top Italian wine destinations to visit this year
If you enjoyed this guide, consider joining the Facebook Group to interact with other Winetravelers and for wine travel inspiration around the world. Be sure to follow us on both Twitter and Instagram to stay up to date with our trending content.