Learn About and Book the Best Wine Tours & Wine Tasting Experiences near Florence, Italy
Florence is not just famous for its Renaissance art, historic architecture like the Duomo, and the Uffizi Gallery, but also stands as a portal to the illustrious world of Italian wine. The city’s prime location offers #Winetravelers an unparalleled opportunity to delve into local enotecas and wine bars, as well as venture into the surrounding vineyards that have put regions like Chianti on the global wine map.
Why Florence Serves as an Excellent Base for Wine Tasting in Chianti and Beyond
Within the city itself, Florence is home to a plethora of both classic and new school wine bars and enotecas, offering a highly curated selection of local wines. A brief journey from Florence will take you to some of Italy’s most renowned wine regions, such as Chianti, Montalcino, Carmignano, Bolgheri and Montepulciano. Each of these regions offers stunning and unique scenery, diverse terroir, local cuisine and winemaking styles.
Florence’s accessibility to these iconic wine regions is second to none. With a range of well-connected transportation options, including trains and organized tours, day trips to these vineyards are not just possible but highly encouraged. Exploring Florence and the surrounding countryside through the lens of wine offers an experience that goes beyond traditional tourism. It’s a multi-sensory journey that connects you to the very essence of the region.
Imagine sipping a glass of Chianti Classico while overlooking the vineyard-scapes and Tuscan Hills from the Piazzale Michelangelo. Secure your ideal experience here.
- Learn About and Book the Best Wine Tours & Wine Tasting Experiences near Florence, Italy
- Why Florence Serves as an Excellent Base for Wine Tasting in Chianti and Beyond
- Quick Tips for Wine Tasting in Florence
- Best Florence Wine Tasting Experiences & Food and Wine Tours, Day Trips
- Top 5 Wine Bars in Florence for Wine Tasting
- Trending Articles & Travel Guides to Italy
Quick Tips for Wine Tasting in Florence
Getting to Florence
Fly into the Florence Peretola Airport (FLR). For the most current flight prices, check here. Upon landing, you’ll find that the city center is conveniently accessible, making it easy to start your Florentine wine adventure right away.
If you’re someone who values the freedom to explore at your own pace and wishes to soak in stunning landscapes, we recommend renting a car in advance through Kayak. This gives you the flexibility to venture beyond Florence and into the surrounding wine regions like Chianti and Montalcino.
For travelers seeking a more personalized and stress-free arrival, especially if it’s your first time in Florence or you simply prefer the ease of pre-arranged transport, booking a private transfer through a reputable service like Ciao Florence is an excellent option.
Once you’re in Florence, you’ll discover that taxis and public transportation options like buses are readily available. These provide a convenient way to navigate the city and reach local wine bars and other attractions if you opt not to rent a car. Additionally, some of the wine tours mentioned in this guide offer transportation as part of their packages, ensuring pick-up and drop-off services from your accommodation in Florence for a seamless wine-tasting experience.
Where to Stay in Florence
Grand Hotel Minerva
- Location: Piazza Santa Maria Novella 16, Florence
- Star Rating: 4 stars
- Lowest Rate: $640 per night
- Booking: Grand Hotel Minerva
Grand Hotel Minerva is a sanctuary of luxury and sophistication, located in the historic Piazza Santa Maria Novella. The hotel offers an extensive wine list featuring local wines, perfect for the discerning Winetraveler to use as a base for exploration.
- Fun Fact: The hotel’s rooftop pool offers panoramic views of Florence, providing a unique setting to enjoy a glass of wine.
Four Seasons Hotel Firenze
- Location: Borgo Pinti, 99, Florence
- Star Rating: 5 stars
- Booking: Four Seasons Hotel Firenze
Four Seasons Hotel Firenze is a masterpiece of Renaissance splendor, offering an unparalleled luxury experience. The hotel’s wine cellar is a treasure trove of fine wines, including rare Italian vintages.
- Fun Fact: The hotel is set within a centuries-old private park, offering a serene backdrop for wine tasting sessions.
COMO Castello del Nero Hotel & Spa
- Location: Strada Spicciano, 7, Tavarnelle Val di Pesa, Tuscany
- Star Rating: 5 stars
- Booking: Castello del Nero Hotel & Spa
For a countryside experience, we recommend looking into Castello del Nero Hotel & Spa in Tavarnelle Val di Pesa, Tuscany. This 5-star hotel is set in a restored castle and offers wine-tasting experiences, including vineyard tours.
- Fun Fact: The hotel has its own Michelin-starred restaurant, La Torre, where you can pair your wine with some of the best cuisine in the region.
Best Wine Tasting Experiences from Florence
Voted best tour in Florence in 2023 (also very affordable), learn about Florentine history, culture, and the legendary Medici dynasty behind the city’s rise to power with this introductory walking tour. Stroll by highlights like the cathedral, Uffizi Gallery, and Piazza della Signoria for an overview of the city’s wonders in just a couple of hours
Go on a day trip from Florence to Siena, San Gimignano and Pisa, plus have lunch at a Winery
Visit “Italy’s Riviera” in Cinque Terre on a guided day trip from Florence
Best Florence Wine Tasting Experiences & Food and Wine Tours, Day Trips
Day Trip from Florence: Siena, San Gimignano, Pisa and Lunch at a Winery
For Winetravelers pressed for time but eager to experience the essence of Tuscany, this one-day tour from Florence offers a meticulously planned itinerary that covers the region’s must-see attractions. Priced at $93.27 per adult, this tour is an all-encompassing journey through the countryside, medieval towns, and world-renowned landmarks.
- Spectacular Countryside Views: Explore the rolling hills of Tuscany, capturing the essence of the region’s natural beauty.
- Guided Tour of Siena: Begin your day with an expert-led walking tour of Siena, including exclusive entry to its awe-inspiring Gothic cathedral.
- Chianti Wine and Culinary Experience: Elevate your day with a traditional local lunch paired with a wine tasting session, all set against the backdrop of the picturesque Chianti hills. This experience is available as an upgrade and takes place at an organic wine estate, offering a genuine taste of the region.
- Explore at Your Own Pace: Enjoy free time to wander through the cobblestone streets of Siena, the medieval skyscrapers of San Gimignano, and the iconic Piazza dei Miracoli in Pisa.
- Up-Close with the Leaning Tower of Pisa: Witness the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Leaning Tower of Pisa in all its glory. Skip-the-line admission tickets are available as an upgrade, allowing you more time to marvel at this architectural wonder.
- English-Only Tour: To ensure the highest quality of customer service and a cohesive tour experience, this excursion is conducted exclusively in English.
Price: from $93.27 per adult
Chianti Safari: Villas with Vineyards, Cheese, Wine & Lunch from Florence
This full-day tour from Florence, also offered by Walkabout Tours, provides a meticulously planned itinerary in a 4×4 vehicle, safari style. The tour includes visits to three distinct wineries, one of which is a historic villa’s private Chianti cellar, typically off-limits to the general public. The 3-course lunch is not a generic meal but a curated dining experience at a winery restaurant renowned for its local cuisine and setting.
- Expert Commentary: Gain in-depth insights into Tuscan cuisine, winemaking, and history from your knowledgeable guide.
- Exclusive Access to Wineries: The tour’s 4×4 off-road vehicle allows you to visit three unique wineries, including a private Chianti cellar at a historic villa, for tastings of premium wines, extra-virgin olive oil, and artisanal cheeses.
- Authentic Tuscan Lunch: The 3-course lunch is served at a handpicked winery restaurant, known for its traditional Tuscan recipes and locally-sourced ingredients.
- Safe and Convenient Transportation: The tour includes a designated driver, allowing you to fully engage in the wine tasting experience.
- Travelers’ Choice Best of the Best 2023
Price: Currently on sale for Winetravelers at $182.71 per adult, down from $203.01
Scent of the Sea: Full-Day Cinque Terre Exploration from Florence – A Comprehensive Trip to the Italian Riviera
Suitable for solo travelers, couples or families, and those interested in experiencing the Italian Riviera’s unique blend of natural beauty and cultural richness, this full-day trip to Cinque Terre from Florence offers a well-organized and hassle-free experience.
Led by Ciao Florence, this excursion provides seamless transportation between each of the small, picturesque fishing villages, through a combination of pre-arranged car, train, and boat transport. The tour covers most of the region’s key destinations including Monterosso, Riomaggiore, Manarola, and Vernazza, each offering its own distinct character and scenic views.
- Multi-Modal Transportation: The tour efficiently uses coach, rail, and boats to transport you between the villages, maximizing your time and experience in each location.
- UNESCO-Listed Cinque Terre: Explore the unique character and scenic beauty of each fishing village, all of which are part of a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Traditional Italian Lunch: An optional upgrade allows you to enjoy a traditional Italian lunch in Monterosso, known for its quaint atmosphere and local cuisine.
- Swimming Opportunity: The tour includes a stop for a swim in the turquoise waters of one of the area’s pristine beaches, offering a refreshing break.
- Why Travelers Choose This Tour: The tour takes the guesswork out of transportation and dining, providing an affordable and efficient way to experience the Italian Riviera’s diverse offerings.
Price: from $64.74 per adult
Florence Vespa Tour: Tuscan Hills and Italian Cuisine
This special Vespa tour from Florence offers a unique way to explore the region’s scenic hills and lesser-known landmarks. Led by a local guide, you’ll ride your own iconic Italian scooter through winding roads, passing notable sites like the Piazzale Michelangelo and the Church of San Miniato al Monte. The tour culminates in a traditional Italian meal at a country estate, providing a fitting end to an unforgettable journey. To ensure a personalized experience, this tour is limited to just 15 travelers.
- Drive Your Own Vespa: Experience the thrill of navigating the Tuscan hills on your own iconic Italian scooter, guided by a local expert.
- Off-the-Beaten-Path Sights: Visit lesser-known landmarks like the Church of San Miniato al Monte, offering a unique perspective on the region.
- Traditional Tuscan Meal: The tour concludes with a meal at a country estate, featuring a menu of bruschetta, pasta, and a cheese and salami board.
- Small-Group Experience: With a maximum of 15 people, this tour ensures you receive personalized attention from your guide.
Price: from $246.90 per adult
Horseback Ride: Visit San Gimignano, Countryside Lunch, Chianti Wine Tasting
This full-day tour from Florence combines the adventure of horseback riding with wine tasting and lunch at a beautiful location. Your guide from Chianti Wine Tours provides a gentle horse and all necessary riding gear for a journey through the vineyards, olive groves, and rolling hills of Chianti. The tour also includes a visit to the medieval town of San Gimignano and concludes with a 3-course Tuscan lunch accompanied by a wine tasting session. With an option to substitute a farm tour for the horseback ride and limited to just eight people, this tour offers both flexibility and intimacy.
- Horseback Riding Experience: Witness the scenic landscapes of the Chianti region on horseback, guided by an experienced local.
- San Gimignano Exploration: Visit the picturesque medieval town known for its historic towers and charming streets.
- 3-Course Tuscan Lunch and Wine Tasting: Enjoy a traditional Tuscan meal and learn the nuances of local wines through a guided tasting session.
- Small-Group Limit: With a maximum of eight people, this tour ensures a personalized and intimate experience.
Price: from $208.50 per adult
Self-Drive Vintage Fiat 500 Tour from Florence: Tuscan Hills and Italian Cuisine
Offered by Walkabout Florence, this half-day tour offers the unique opportunity to drive a retro Fiat 500 through the region’s scenic landscapes. Led by an expert guide, you’ll venture into the Tuscan hills, making a stop at the Church of San Miniato al Monte and enjoying panoramic views of Florence. The tour includes a visit to a private terrace where you’ll enjoy in a traditional Tuscan lunch before returning to your original departure point in Florence.
- Drive a Retro Fiat 500: Take the wheel of an iconic Italian car and explore the Tuscan countryside, guided by an expert.
- Visit to San Miniato al Monte: Stop at this historic church, known for its stunning views over Florence.
- Photo Opportunities: The tour includes stops for photo opportunities, and the option to change drivers if you wish, ensuring everyone gets a turn behind the wheel.
- Tuscan Lunch on a Private Terrace: Enjoy a traditional Tuscan meal in an exclusive setting, adding a touch of luxury to your adventure.
Price: from $246.90 per adult
Top 5 Wine Bars in Florence for Wine Tasting
Le Volpi e l’Uva
Piazza dei Rossi, 1R, Florence
Le Volpi e l’Uva is a charming wine bar located near the Ponte Vecchio. It offers a curated selection of Italian wines, focusing on small producers. The intimate setting and knowledgeable staff make it a must-visit for any wine enthusiast.
Enoteca Pitti Gola e Cantina
Piazza de’ Pitti, 16, Florence
Situated across from the Pitti Palace, Enoteca Pitti Gola e Cantina is renowned for its extensive wine list, including rare Tuscan vintages. The elegant ambiance and exceptional service make it a standout choice for wine lovers.
EnotecaBar Fuori Porta
Via del Monte alle Croci, 10R, Florence
EnotecaBar Fuori Porta is a vibrant wine bar located in the Oltrarno district near Piazza Michelangelo. Known for its extensive wine list and casual atmosphere, it’s a popular spot for both locals and tourists. The bar also offers a variety of small plates, making it ideal for a wine and food pairing experience.
La Divina Enoteca
Via Panicale, 19R, Florence
La Divina Enoteca is a modern wine bar that offers a diverse selection of wines from around the world. The bar also features wine-tasting events and masterclasses, making it a hub for wine education in Florence.
Via delle Oche, 27R-31R, Florence
Enoteca Alessi is located near the Duomo and offers a wide range of Italian and international wines. The bar also has a deli section, where you can find gourmet products to pair with your wine.
*All Florence day trip and wine tour pricing is accurate at the time of publication. Prices are subject to change based on operator availability.
Pin This Travel Guide to the Best Wine Tours Near Florence on Pinterest for Later
Trending Articles & Travel Guides to Italy
You are reading “Best Florence Wine Tastings, Wine Tours and Day Trips 2024” Back To Top
Florence day trips, wine tasting near me, wine bars near me, wine tours near Florence, vineyards near Florence: trending destinations in Italy
If you enjoyed this guide, make sure you register to become a Winetraveler for free! You’ll get access to all of our content and interact with other Winetravelers and for travel inspiration around the world. Be sure to follow along with us on Twitter and Instagram as we continue to feature more exciting destinations.